Sunday, May 31, 2009

seventeen-hundreds

[updated to include recipe]

So, I guess I like strawberries. I'm using them frequently to bake pretty ; they just go with so much! Plus, they are about in season, so when I buy them they tend to be deliciously sweet. However, the ones I got this time around for these cupcakes were a bit wanting. As a result, the cake itself wasn't as "I'M SUPER FULL OF STRAWBERRIES!!" as I wanted. Instead, it was a hint of strawberry plus the (better, because I bought some extras later) ones on top with cream cheese icing or chocolate ganache. I filled some of them with strawberry whipped cream as well to round out the flavor.


I was also really tired when I made these (hadn't slept the night before), so my Martha Stewart gene was lacking while I decorated them. I made them for a picnic in which we all came from 300 years ago.

Strawberry Cupcakes
12 tbs butter (1 1/2 sticks)
4 eggs + 2 yolks
2 3/4c cake flour
1/2c milk
1 1/2c sugar
3/4tsp salt
2 1/2tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract

2c roughly sliced strawberries
enough sugar to sweeten strawberries to your liking

Preheat the oven to 350F. (Ensure that your ingredients are all room temperature!!)

In a small saucepan, place strawberries and some sugar over medium heat and cover. Once the mixture begins to simmer, reduce heat to low. Cook for ~15 minutes, covered, until the mixture is liquidy. Allow to cool some, and then place the mixture in a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar, salt baking powder, and vanilla until the mixture is fluffy, appx 5 mins. This will take longer if you are using a hand blender.

dd the eggs to the mixture one by one, beating well after each egg. Slowly blend in one-third of the flour and then the milk. Add another third of the flour and then add the strawberry mixture in slowly. Finally, add the final third of flour. You will likely need to scrape the bowl down several times.

Pour into cupcake/muffin liners, filling up the cups until they are 1/2" from being full. Bake 20-22 mins until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 5 mins. Remove them from the muffin pan and allow the cakes to cool completely. Decorate however you like! (I recommend cream cheese frosting or strawberry whipped cream.)

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

Those cupcakes are sooo pretty, John! And the photos look great too. ;)